Friday 5 February 2010


The Night I Lost My Love

I have a tendency to be drawn to illustrations of all sorts. This also goes for street art which I have a huge admiration for. I've always been to comics (The Beano & Dandy were my preference as a child), so when I found this comic strip in The Times titled The Night I Lost My Love I was chuffed as could be. It has such character, not least because the drawing is slightly disjointed and charming because of it; the large eyes are particularly charming, but also the general lay out of the comic strip and the colour plate for the entire thing give a subdue quality that's quite enchanting. We follow Ilona who has been separated from her Love at a party, and goes on a quest to find him with some very interesting conclusions.
Is it just me, or is there something especially engaging about comics (in particular graphic novels) that make you engage with the characters in a way that you somehow can't in books? In any case, Karrie Fransman has uploaded the entire short story onto her website (above link) and I strongly suggest you check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment