Monday 22 March 2010




Down The Rabbit Hole

Last week I finally saw Tim Burton's adaptation and expanding of Lewis Carol's classic Alice In Wonderland. It is one of my all time favourite books, and however much I admire and adore Burton's work, I was a tad trepidatious about what he had done to it, especially as a majority of it was done computer graphically.
I should not have worried however.
As with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (another favourite of mine) he has made it his own, whilst still maintaining
the essence of the original. To start with, there was the
compulsory 'Burton' feel to the entire film - the spindly font, the
quirky feel to the backdrop with gnarly trees and twisted plants, taking things as literal (the 'rocking horse fly' an actual
rocking horse) and the braiding of reality and and CGI. But best of all (in my eyes) is the costumes.
Yes, for anyone with a taste for bizarre, quirky, textual delights, Burton is the one to go to. Each of his characters has such a
sense of individuality, yet maintaining to merge with the rest of the characters outfits to conglomerate as one fantastical
piece of Burton eye candy. I think perhaps that my most particular outfit, is that which is created for Alice by the Mad Hatter
whilst she is in his teapot hiding from the Knave of Hearts, a delicate powder blue scrappy dress that resembles an elegant jellyfish.



Anne Hathaway as The White Queen


Johnny Depp as The Mad Hatter

Helena Bonham Carter as The Red Queen

Something that made me exceptionally happy though, was the fact that during the scene that the Mad Hatter comes running across the tea table, I noticed that he was wearing some boots very similar to my gorgeous red ones!
And I adore how the idea of pale blue dresses from a children's book a so many years ago still manages to influence fashion. The elegant 'girly' aspect never seems to get old, and keeps reappearing, a slight adaptation of the Victorian period. Fashion is never new, merely a beautiful recreation of what has been to bring it into the Now.





1 comment: